Global Education Experiences
Ocean County College offers exciting Study Abroad opportunities to promote cross cultural understanding and awareness of global perspectives. All OCC study abroad seminars are led by OCC faculty members and are open to students and the community. Eligible OCC students may apply for a Study Abroad Scholarship through the OCC Foundation (see information below).
Our superb international travel experiences include:
- Costa Rica – Winter 2019
- Germany – Spring 2019
- Morocco – Summer 2019
Travel to Costa Rica with OCC!
Spend an amazing 9 days exploring Costa Rica at its best. Break the winter doldrums by traveling to Costa Rica to experience firsthand the wealth which comes from the interaction of culture and the environment. Immerse yourself in the richness of Latino culture (a chance to brush up on your Spanish language skills) while exploring Costa Rica’s environmental treasures such as the Arenal Volcano and Baldi Hot Springs, a river tour the jungles of the Cano Negro Wild Life Refuge. Spend an overnight in the Monteverde Cloud Forest and walk above the clouds on the Monteverde Cloud Forest Sky Walk Tour. Wrap up the best of Costa Rica with two days in Guanacaste exploring the wealth and variety of Costa Rican culture.
Dates: Thursday, January 10, 2019 – Friday, January 18, 2019
Registration Deadline: Wednesday, September 19, 2018
Scholarship Application: Wednesday, September 19, 2018
Tuesday, 9/11 at 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm in LARS 213
Wednesday, 9/12 at 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm in LARS 211
Friday, 9/14 at 10:30 am – 11:30 am in LARS 211
Monday, 9/17 at 10:30 am – 11:30 am in LARS 203
Cost of Trip Plus one (3) Credit Course:
Out of County: $3,959.50
Out of State: $4,223.50
Class Option: Global Culture- Costa Rica
- Round-trip Airfare
- All accommodations (two to a room)
- Full Time Tour manager
- Insurance, taxes, OCC instruction and tuition/fees
- Excursions to: Arenal Volcano, Baldi Hot Springs, Cano Negro Wild Life Refuge, Jungle River Tour, Monteverde Cloud Forest, Montevere Cloud Forest Sky Walk Tour
- All Breakfasts
- 4 Lunches
- 7 Dinners
Not Included: the $29 Costa Rica Departure tax, payable at local airport; Personal expenses; activities, meals, tips, and services not specifically listed in travel brochure/contract
For information or an application contact:
Travel to the beautiful Emerald Island of Ireland with OCC!
Information Sessions: Student Center Room 203
Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 2:00 p.m.
Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 11:00 a.m.
Friday, December 15, 2017 at 12:30 p.m.
Thursday, February 8, 2018 at 1:00 p.m.
Monday, March 5, 2018 at 12:00 p.m.
Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 12:00 p.m.
This Study Abroad in Ireland (including both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland) Travel Seminar (HIST 255) provides an unforgettable opportunity to experience the history, culture and people of Ireland while visiting its’ two capital cities.
- This 9-Day trip includes walking tours of Dublin and Belfast including entrance into Trinity College and the Book of Kells, St. Patrick’s Cathedral and Dublin Castle.
- We will have a guided tour of Kilmainham Gaol given by the grandson of a 1916 Rebellion fighters as well as a trip to see the beauty and grandeur of Powerscourt Estate, including the house, garden and waterfalls.
- Traveling to ancient historical sites of Newgrange/Knowth and Hill of Tara and hearing about pagan times, druids, high chiefs and mystical spirits will be contrasted with modern history of Belfast an Derry as depicted in the internationally acclaimed mural art work which we will visit while in Northern Ireland.
- In addition to the historical and cultural highlights of Ireland, the trip includes the opportunity to experience firsthand the warmth, hospitality and love of music during our Pub dinners an famous full Irish breakfasts.
- Students will earn three credits and participate in a course (HIST 255: History and Culture of Ireland).
- Members of the community are welcome to participate on an audit basis.
Scholarship Application: Extended to March 16, 2018
Application: Extended to April 4, 2018
Cost of Trip Plus One (3) Credit Course:
Ocean County Resident – $4,370.50
Out-of-County – $4,433.50
Out-of-State – $4,697.50
Single Supplement (optional) $799.00
Class Option: HIST 255: History & Culture of Ireland for three college credits
Package Includes: Round-trip airfare, Full time tour manager, All breakfasts, 3 dinners, Admissions & tours outlined, Travel insurance, 7 nights’ accommodations (2 to a room), European airport/hotel transfers, Shuttle to & from OCC, First class motor coach, Transportation to & from historical sites, Tuition & fees for one 3 credit course.
Not included: Meals not noted on itinerary, breakfast on arrival day, beverages during included meals, tips and gratuities for services providers, personal effects and any items not specifically listed above.
- Participants must be at least 18 years of age and out of high school.
- Community members are welcome to participate on an audit-credit basis.
- Students will be enrolled for 3 college credits during the 2018 Fourth Accelerated Semester. Scholarships available for full-time OCC students – an application is required.
For information or an application contact:
Dr. Maureen Reustle
Community Colleges for International Development (CCID)
Ocean County College is a proud member of Community Colleges for International Development. CCID provides an international network for community colleges to further their internationalization initiatives and to enhance the development of a globally competent workforce for the communities they serve.
CCID also offers study abroad opportunities through its Troika program. These short-term, faculty-led travel opportunities take students around the globe to study global business, culture, science, economics, healthcare and more. Students earn college credits while experiencing a trip of a lifetime!
For more information about CCID, please visit www.ccidinc.org
Scholarships For Study Abroad
OCC Foundation Scholarships: The OCC Foundation frequently offers partial scholarships for full-time OCC students to participate in OCC-sponsored travel seminars and study abroad experiences. Students should contact the professor leading the travel seminar for information on OCC Foundation scholarships available for that particular study abroad trip.
Outside Programs & Scholarships: The US State Department lists study abroad programs and scholarship opportunities at http://exchanges.state.gov/us/search/solr/scholarships.